Floorpan welding - part 2

Once I got all the rust cut out I started patching in pieces of steel, coating everything with self-etching primer, sealing the seams with silicone, and coating everything in rubberized undercoating. I hadn't exactly planned how I was going to patch things together and I just flew by the seat of my pants. The first pieces I cut and bent were quite awkward, and poorly done. By the time I finished I was bending some pretty respectable patches, if I do say so myself.

I'm missing about 10 days worth of photos since I thought I had lost my camera. I had snapped a few with my camera phone but the quality is lousy. Ignore my lousy looking welds, remember I'm trying to weld 22 gauge steel with a 70/90A flux-core MIG. They're plenty strong, though.

The worst of the rust was on the driver's side, but I had some similar holes on the passenger's side as well, and some holes that were only accessible from below. I didn't get photos of everything, I was too pressed for time and too sick of welding to bother by the time I got there. This driver's side took me what seemed like forever, and you can't even see all of the work required on that side in this photo.

No comments: