Turbo engine overhaul Part 2

Balance shafts are off, pistons are out. In order to get the balance shafts off I needed to get the front seal retainer off so I could access the sprocket and chain, and in order to get the front seal retainer off I needed to get the timing sprocket off.

For some reason known only to an evil Chrysler engineer who's probably still cackling about it, there was a transition from 4 to 5 bolts that hold the accessory drive pulley. With 4 bolts it's easy to use a standard steering wheel puller. With 5 it's more difficult. Here's what I rigged up: I unscrewed the crank sprocket bolt some, bolted the pulley to the sprocket with longer bolts - in this case, the bolts from the intake manifold. The box end wrench is on a nut that has a bolt threaded through it, which is pressing against the head of the crank bolt. There's also a thick washer on there that prevents the nut from just going through the centre hole in the pulley. Holding the nut and tightening the bolt draws the sprocket off. Quick and dirty but it worked.

Once I got the seal retainer off I was faced with another challenge. E-torx bolts on the balance shaft chain sprocket. Turns out a 1/4 inch socket fits closely enough to get those out, then the balance shaft assembly comes off easily giving clear access to the main and connecting rod caps.

All of the rod bearings and journals are in excellent shape. I'm going to replace the bearings regardless. The connecting rods and wrist pins are in good shape, and the pistons, while they can use a good scrubbing, also look pretty good.

The next step is going to be removal of the crankshaft, then the long, slow process of cleaning and inspecting everything, while I save up a little cash to buy the replacement parts.

I can see why these pistons are often referred to as "tuna cans". Nice to see the forged connecting rods and standard size bearings too. Overall I'm happy with the condition inside the engine.

2 comments:

Cindi said...

My mechanic is having trouble removing the sprocket in order to replace the seal. Major oil leak on a 95 LeBaron. Says he is having trouble removing it and it might be damaged beyond useage. Haven't been able to find new sprocket. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Cindi

Tefon said...

Cindi, a 1995 should have the 3.0 V6 which is a different animal from the turbo engines. At least on the 3.0s that I've worked on, you can use a standard steering wheel puller on the sprocket. If the mechanic is having a hard time removing it, maybe a little heat will help. As for a replacement, at least in the salvage yards around here there are a few dozen 3.0s in at any given time. If you can't find one I could probably get you one but I can't guarantee how soon that would be.