I'm really enjoying the West Kelowna Pick-n-Pull!

We ended up heading out to Kelowna again for a short visit, and while I was there I checked out Pick-n-Pull again, and walked out with a wallet $30 lighter. What did I buy, you ask? A brand new, partially installed convertible top. It looks like the owner of the car tried to install the top themselves without the correct tools, got frustrated, and junked the car. I had to pop about 40 staples to get the top off the car which as easy, since they used a standard staple gun rather than a more powerful upholstery stapler to attach the top. For comparison, a new top with a plastic rear window (I wanted glass, but I'm not going to argue) is $240 and up from online vendors. I think I did fine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you know if an 89 top will fit a 90 model?

Tefon said...

More or less, yes. In 1990 they transitioned to a top that does not use the wire-on strip across the rear bow. On the 87-89 models you staple through the top into the tack strip, then the wire-on covers that. On the 90-95 tops there's what's called a "listing" which attaches the top to the rear bow using a bar inside the frame for a cleaner installation. With a little ingenuity you can make a 1990+ top fit an earlier car. Good luck!

Tefon said...

Or the other way around, I should say. Whoops.

Unknown said...

Hi, I have a 95 that has the Ultraglide in it. Do or do you know of anyone would know if it can be swapped with an Acclaim 3 speed Torqflite auto transmission? I do not want to retire the car because the tranny is junk.
Thanks for any insight, CD